Assistant Manager of Veterinary Services
The Cat Care Society is excited to hire a Veterinary Services Assistant Manager! This role is part of the shelter leadership team. This role is responsible for the hiring, onboarding, training, supervision, scheduling, recognition, and performance coaching of our veterinary staff including veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants. Working closely with the Chief Veterinarian this role has the opportunity to develop and create a strong feline medicine program. This position works closely with other shelter departments to create policies and procedures that improve the care of Cat Care Society’s cats.
The Veterinary Services Assistant Manager provides high-quality medical care to shelter felines under the supervision of the Chief Veterinarian. This position oversees the Veterinary Technicians and Assistants.
- Oversees the veterinary support teams, including volunteers, to ensure efficient, prompt, and excellent care is provided to shelter animals.
- Continually engages in learning up-to-date practices in feline medicine and shelter medicine ensuring best practices are continuously incorporated into CCS protocols
- Works closely with the Chief Veterinarian to Ensures that the veterinary services team is providing high-quality and efficient medical care. Creating clear, communicative pathways to adoptions. Works with the adoptions team to ensure that adopters understand the cat’s needs, to make the best adoption match possible.
- With support of the executive director and Chief Veterinarian, manages and develops veterinary services staff. This includes training, mentoring, coaching, and disciplining. Ensures veterinary staff are provided with educational opportunities to keep licensure current and ensure all vet staff are contributing to best practice discussions.
- Schedules veterinary services staff to ensure efficient operations. Manages time off requests and approves time cards for biweekly payroll.
- Develops and updates standard operating procedures to ensure all animals and patrons receive quality care and service.
- Oversees inventory of supplies needed for Veterinary Services. Compares prices and maintains vendor contacts.
- Participate in euthanasia decision making.
- Performs any and all duties of a veterinary technician as needed to ensure efficient departmental operations.
- Work with other departments to coordinate care and quarantine of infectious disease animals effectively and efficiently.
- Treats people and animals with respect; contributes to effective teamwork; promotes intra- and inter-departmental cooperation; and fosters public relations beneficial to Cat Care Society.
- Maintains appropriate licensing and completes required continuing education courses
- Adheres to state regulations and organizational protocol regarding animal care, treatment, advocacy, and the mission of Cat Care Society.
- Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) and two years of experience in a shelter setting OR Five years of experience as a non-credentialed veterinary technician with a minimum of two years of experience in a shelter setting
- One year or management experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proven organizational, time management, and planning skills required
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional, pleasant, and respectful manner at all times
- Maturity with ability to use good judgment and display a professional manner
- Good analytical skills and ability to identify and access department issues/opportunities
- Enjoys problem solving within existing resources; does not rely on additional dollars to resolve problems
- Track record of fostering a positive work environment
- Be viewed as a motivator and leader
- Experience supporting and creating a team environment