Lead Veterinary Technician
Department: Veterinary Services
Reports to: Veterinary Services Manager
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Status: Full-time, hourly, non-exempt
Schedule: 40 hours, variable
Foothills Animal Shelter’s mission is: Providing support to our surrounding community through education, services that strengthen the human-pet bond, and humane care for the animals we serve.
All employees and volunteers are expected to embody the Shelter’s Values which are to have honesty and integrity in all that we do, with the following values as our guide:
Stewardship: Assume responsibility and ownership for our actions within our shelter and our community.
Positive Culture: Create a safe, supportive environment for the health, wellbeing, and development of staff and volunteers.
Openness: Nurture an innovative, inclusive, and creative environment that cultivates conversations and relationships that actively work towards the future.
Team Oriented: Build relationships, embrace teamwork, and foster collaboration in pursuit of our Mission.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position will manage the health of homeless pets during their stay at our shelter, lead surgery in partnership with our veterinary team, and support and provide mentorship to our volunteers and veterinary assistants.
- Coordinates the daily surgery and treatment schedule. Performs pre-surgical duties, conducts pre-surgical physical exams on patients, and alerts veterinarian to any concerns.
- Calculates, administers and records pre-anesthetic drugs. Completes controlled drug logs as appropriate.
- Administers anesthesia and oversees monitoring animals under anesthesia in a high volume spay/neuter environment.
- Oversees recovery of animals post-surgery with the aid of volunteers.
- Operates digital radiology equipment and follows radiology safety procedures.
- Performs dental cleanings, including dental radiographs.
- Responds to emergency situations, administering triage care.
- Prepares laboratory samples and evaluates in-house lab work.
- Performs euthanasia services.
- Maintains appropriate surgical records, documents, and data entry for shelter animals.
- Collects samples for testing and performs laboratory tests.
- Performs daily health evaluations; medicates, vaccinates, and treats animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
- Performs physical examinations and restraint on animals in a manner consistent with Foothills Animal Shelter’s commitment to fear-free sheltering and veterinary care.
- Performs accurate data entry to update animal records and controlled drug logs.
- Reviews medical disclosures for shelter animals with potential adopters, providing client education and recommendations for conditions requiring follow-up care.
- Responds to post-adoption health inquiries.
- Addresses animal behavior needs or concerns with the behavior team.
- Integrates new employees and volunteers, taking an active role in their training, mentorship, safety, performance, and job satisfaction.
- Promotes teamwork by demonstrating a cooperative, flexible, adaptable, and helpful attitude with all staff and volunteers.
- Maintains a positive, solutions-oriented approach to the work environment, looking for the opportunities within each challenge.
- Makes recommendations and leads initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) with surgical background preferred or 4 years of equivalent work experience
- Experience with leading/training team members
- Experience in an animal welfare environment preferred
- Experience in HQHVSN (High Quality High Volume Spay/Neuter)
- Fear Free Shelter and Fear Free Veterinary certified or become Fear Free certified within 60 days of employment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and strong attention to detail
- Must have the ability to communicate and collaborate with a variety of people and personality types
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Handling and restraining animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments.
- Subject to animal bites or scratches.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, gases, X-ray radiation, dust, animal dander, parasites, animal urine and feces, transmittable diseases.
- Working with medications/drugs both controlled and non-controlled.
- Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, kneeling, climbing stairs, and walking.
- Ability to lift and carry 50lbs.
- Work performed in high noise level areas.
- Must be able to manage the emotional aspect of end-of-life services and humane euthanasia, and support employees in high-emotion circumstances.
About Foothills Animal Shelter: As an open admission shelter, our doors are always open to pets in Jefferson County, and we are committed to serving our community as a socially conscious shelter. We care for more than 7,000 dogs, cats, and small animals every year with a compassionate team of staff and volunteers. We are a community resource and offer a variety of services including pet adoption, Jefferson County pet licensing, vaccinations, microchipping, and lost and found pets. The Shelter is established under an intergovernmental agreement between Jefferson County, the City of Arvada, the City of Lakewood, the City of Wheat Ridge, the City of Golden, the City of Westminster and the City of Edgewater.