Veterinary Technician - Dumb Friends League Veterinary Hospital
The Dumb Friends League is currently hiring Veterinary Technicians to join the League’s Veterinary Hospital team!
The League’s Veterinary Hospital at CSU Spur team members provide access to high quality veterinary urgent care using an incremental care approach for under-served populations in our community. This position plays a critical role in helping to prevent and alleviate suffering of animals in our community, maximize our impact, enhance the dignity of our clients, and work collaboratively with the veterinary community.
The (new) Dumb Friends League Veterinary Hospital at the CSU Spur campus, is just north of downtown Denver, and is part of the redevelopment of the National Western Center. On the Spur campus, the veterinary hospital will incorporate learning opportunities for the public, through our surgery and dental suites, along with an exam room, that is on view to the public.
The Dumb Friends League Veterinary Hospital offers our veterinary technicians a competitive wage starting at $20/hour and great benefits including paid time off, annual support for continuing education and student loan repayment assistance for CVTs, and more!
- Monitor care and treatment of animals to ensure proper services and follow-up care are provided and completed efficiently.
- Provide first line of exceptional customer service to all patrons.
- Ensure a smooth and timely flow of office calls from check-in to discharge.
- Accurately review discharge patient instructions with clients and distribute educational materials as recommended by doctor.
- Thoroughly record conversations with clients including all recommendations, declined recommendations or treatments.
- Collect required laboratory samples and accurately process them for in-house or reference lab submission.
- Take and process all radiographs, including dental radiographs.
- Medicate, vaccinate, and treat animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
- Induce anesthesia and intubate, monitor anesthesia, prepare patient for surgery, and keep thorough surgery logs and anesthesia sheets.
- Assist veterinarians in surgical and medical procedures, including dentistry.
- Utilize proper animal handling and restraint.
- Perform medical and surgical patron call-backs as directed by veterinarian.
- Fill client prescriptions and maintain drug logs as required.
- Use and maintain medical equipment.
- Perform accurate data entry into hospital software system to update client and animal records.
- Clean and maintain work areas.
- List needed inventory items on want list before the last one is taken, stock all areas of hospital as needed, monitor items for expiration dates.
- Maintain professional and courteous demeanor in challenging/stressful situations.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions.
Organizational competencies apply to all jobs at the League; position competencies are specific to this position.
- Attention to Detail
- Managing Resources
- Technical Expertise
- Decision Making
- Results Oriented
- Time Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Conflict Management
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- CVTs are eligible for student loan reimbursement
Compensation: Starting at $20 per hour (uncertified); $21 per hour (certified veterinary technicians); (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- Education: Associate’s degree in veterinary technology or equivalent experience
- Experience: Completion of a veterinary technician internship or comparable experience and working knowledge of current veterinary practices
- Certified veterinary technician
- Experience in an animal welfare environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail