Veterinary Technician - Feline Friendly
Position Summary: Veterinary Technicians at CCS are crucial to the success of the shelter medicine team and the shelter itself. Veterinary technicians are responsible for the oversight and daily management of the shelter's felines, under the guidance of veterinarians. This is a great role for a technician who is interested in supporting special need cats!
Reports To: Veterinary Services Manager
About CCS: Cat Care Society has been improving the quality of life for homeless, abused, and injured cats for over 40 years. Join us in our mission to continue enriching the lives of people and cats in Jefferson County and beyond.
Vision: The Society’s goals are:
- To sponsor educational programs that promote responsible pet ownership, humane treatment of all animals, and the elimination of pet overpopulation
- To shelter cats in a healthy, cage free environment and to find compatible and responsible families for every cat
- To provide community outreach programs that improve the quality of life for cats and people
- To be a friend to all cats
- Under the guidance of a veterinarian, assists with a variety of animal health care duties including caring for ill and injured animals, monitors the health of animals for signs of disease, and performs other care giving activities in a caring and compassionate manner.
- Administer anesthesia and monitor animals under anesthesia.
- Assure successful recovery of animals post-surgery
- Assists veterinarian in medical and surgical procedures.
- Perform physical examination of animals.
- Perform accurate data entry to update animal records and controlled drug logs.
- Performs routine laboratory tests by collecting and preparing samples for requested tests, conducts laboratory tests, and reads and records results.
- Provides specialized nursing care for ill and injured animals, administers vaccinations and other injections, and dispenses medications.
- May perform euthanasia and other related tasks.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Oversee medical supply inventory process and provide accurate counts as well as data weekly.
- Participate in other shelter daily tasks as needed and assigned by the manager.
- 1 year experience working as a veterinary technician in a shelter or high volume clinic setting, or emergency or 3 years experience working at general practice.
- Working knowledge of current veterinary practices, shelter medicine preferred
- Proven organizational, time management, and planning skills required
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional, pleasant, and respectful manner at all times
- Maturity with ability to use good judgment and display a professional manner
- Good analytical skills and ability to identify and access department issues/opportunities
- Enjoys problem solving within existing resources; does not rely on additional dollars to resolve problems
- Track record of fostering a positive work environment
Education & Experience:
- Associate degree in veterinary technology or equivalent experience
- Completion of a veterinary technician internship or comparable experience
Schedule Flexible, typically working 4, 10 hour days.
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid time for CE
- CE Allowance
Reply to posting
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $22.00 - $23.00 per hour
401(k), Dental insurance, Employee discount, Health insurance, Paid time off, Professional development assistance