Veterinary Technician I - Equine Medicine, Part-Time
- This Veterinary Technician position primarily provides patient care for clinical equine cases in the Critical Care, Medicine, and Surgery & Lameness services whose treatments are being overseen by faculty, residents and interns. Depending on caseload in Critical Care and Medicine this position might also be asked to assist in Livestock Medicine, Large Animal Radiology and other large animal services.
- This position requires a knowledge of various medical procedures, biosecurity surveillance, and proper equipment usage. This position will assist in the case management on a day-to-day basis by providing support services such as stocking, cleaning and maintaining equipment after use, and providing continuity of patient care.
- Additionally, this position provides direction of junior and senior veterinary students and their responsibilities related to patient care within the equine hospital.
Travel funds for interviews will be limited to $500.
This is a part-time position, typically working 30 hours/week. Additional working hours may be required depending on department’s needs.
- An associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in veterinary/animal health technology.
- One year of experience assisting in animal surgery, administering anesthesia to animals and/or performing veterinary surgery.
- Must have the ability to safely and proficiently handle horses and foals for medical procedures and evaluations. Minimum 1 year of equine experience.
- Two years of experience as defined by the department will substitute for each year of required education. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in veterinary/animal health technology will substitute for the associate’s degree and, at the agency’s discretion, the year of experience.
VETERINARY PRACTICE ACT – Effective January 1, 2024, anyone wanting to use the titles Registered Veterinary Technician, Veterinary Technician, RVT, or VT will have to be certified through the Colorado Association of Certified Veterinary Technicians (CACVT) AND registered through the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). Please visit the CACVT website for more information.
- Preferred 2 years combined large animal and equine experience.
$39,720 - 47,664 (Based on 1.0 FTE and commensurate with shift/schedule)